Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:
Show
DO NOT ORDER anything large from West Elm in New York .Their delivery service UPS will not deliver to your apartment . West Elm has decided for UPS not to require a signiture and therefore they left it at the bottom of my stairs and I had to carry a 150 pound piece of...

Their in-home delivery is almost as inefficient as their customer service. Every customer service person I speak to gives me a different story.

In-home delivery just called me but I couldn't understand the foreign lady on the other line because her accent was so heavy that it was too difficult to figure out what she was saying except that she works for Federal (something) truck delivery in Jersey. Never again, West Elm..!

Loss

West Elm in New York, New York - Poor customer service and management of delivery

I spent about 30 minutes trying to buy furniture at the West Elm on 18th st in New York. Over that time every sales rep refused to help make the purchase. I gave up and ordered online on back on November 25th. The site said the item would be delivered December 9th. The item did not require any special order for fabric or anything like that. Despite the simplicity of the order, the delivery date passed with no notice from the company. Finally after calling customer service I was told they might delivery it in early January - no guarantees! How could a furniture company be operated this badly?
Review

West Elm in Gainesville, Florida - Should have received Sofa, Factory doesn't even have fabric yet

"Special Order" apparently means, total *** I ordered the Henry Sofa a couple of months ago, should have received it a week ago. Kept receiving letters saying it will ship in such and such a date. Dates came and went, no sofa. I finally called customer service and was informed that the factory doesn't have the fabric to make the sofa and they have no idea when they're getting it. And if you go online, you can STILL order the sofa. They don't even have the fabric! They're selling furniture that they DON'T have! This is complete ***.

Yep, another story of "they shouldn't sell it if they don't have it." I ordered a sofa early August and the delivery at the time said the end of August. I just called to inquire about the date and they said mid- November - ALMOST 4 MONTHS!!!???? Crazy.

I ordered a Henry Sectional on June 15th. They claimed it was backordered until the 29th.

OK. It is now Aug 3 and still no sofa. I called Williams Sonoma because they own West Elm and they tried to help. He called me back and said should be shipping out on Monday Aug 6.

Ha, I'll believe it when I see it. Now I want to cancel because of reviews of the Henry being of such poor quality.

If it's not on it's way next week, I'm getting my money back. :upset

We have this couch and after like 2 months the cushions are all like pancakes. I called and they sent me new cushions but already they are flattening out again.

I know it isnt the most expensive furnoture but it was still 1500 nd looks like ***. I am probably going to try to return it.

Same horrible issues, got the couch and it didn't even match the swatch they had sent me, not even close! Had to refuse delivery after waiting 3+ months.

Now I'm in a waiting game to see if they will approve the full refund. Bunch of BS.

I have the large Henry sofa and I can tell you that after a few DAYS the back cushions are sinking and look like they're long slumpy bean bags rather than back cushions. The bottom cushions are better but the fabric seems to rotate around the foam so I'm having to constantly pull it back so the piping is at the corners. Do not buy this sofa

I ordered the Henry sectional in August and just received in mid December after numerous calls and getting the same run arounds described. The worst part though is now after having the sectional for about 30 days it looks like complete ***.

The cushions are all sinking in and almost flat. There is no way this is going to hold up.

Do not order this piece of furniture! Even after the ridiculous wait you are going to be stuck with a piece or furniture that isn't going to last.

Going through the same thing with the Chester sofa. I called Max Home (the vendor) directly 662-862-9966 and they cannot tell me anything about the order, but did say they are not backed up.

My sofa was supposed to ship in late December. Then yesterday.

Now I'm told it is just now "in production". I want to cry.

@sharonc

Sharon C - can you please help me?! I am in love with the look of the Chester, but it is now only available online, so I can't tell if it will be comfortable or not.

It is a soft squishy sofa, or does it feel more hard and formal? I'd really appreciate your help!

Apparently the Henry Sectional is a horrible piece to order from them. We purchased ours (blue microplush fiber, or something like that) on August 6. We were told multiple times of delays with delivery, and ended up receiving it at the end of October, after calling customer service multiple times to track the order (since they couldn't appear to track it themselves - they told us we would be receiving our ottoman late, when we had in fact already received that piece).

We then discovered within 2 weeks that one piece of the sectional is making a huge creaking sound. I mean, very loud, where you can hear it on the other end of the phone. The other sectional piece makes a very slight sound. We also discovered a big sinking of the couch in one spot after sitting in it for only a month. They told us to "rotate" the cushions, but if they're going to wear out that quickly, it sounds like the quality isn't very good.

We called and they did send a furniture medic to our house to repair it. He wasn't able to do it in house, so we needed to schedule a pick up for West Elm to come and get it and bring it to his shop. This took 3 weeks after multiple calls to both West Elm and the repair place. No one seemed to know what was going on in the process.

We finally got the couch back today, and no joke, the creak is just as loud as it was when we sent it last week. And they didn't even begin to look at the sinking of the couch and the cushions.

I would steer anyone clear of ordering this piece of furniture. It's beautiful, but it's been a horrendous mess dealing with the customer service line and delivery issues, and obvious quality issues.

I'm sorry to hear that you're all having the same exact problem as I am! I ordered a Henry sofa on August 16th and it's been over a month now since they told me they "don't have the fabric" and still no resolution or comparable option offered. What an absolute joke of a company.

:cry

Same thing is happening to me right now except I ordered the Lorimer sofa in the stock fabric and color to avoid delays! I originally ordered the Lorimer sectional in cottom basketweave in Dove Gray and waited over 12 weeks to receive the sectional only to have to return it due to poor quality of fabric and the sofa was lighter than the swatch I received.

My new sofa was supposed to arrive on 12/09/11 and now they are saying it looks like it will arrive at the warehouse on 01/02/12 and I'll have to wait another 1 to 3 weeks for delivery. Outrageous! They should not sell the sofas if there's a significant backorder. I have family coming from the U.K.

for the holidays and have no sofa. Thanks West Elm for making my holiday season more stressful than it needs to be!

EXACT same thing happening to me right now, too. I ordered our Henry Sectional on September 3 and kept getting the runaround.

First, milling issues. Then, no fabric on hand. Someone is supposed to call me back Wednesday with an official update. This is RIDICULOUS and as consumers we need to come together and demand our money back.

Waiting this long is unacceptable.

West Elm clearly has vendor issues and they shouldn't be taking orders for things they clearly cannot deliver. Unacceptable....shame on you West Elm.

The same thing happened to me. Monday was 12 weeks of waiting and delays on my Henry sectional.

Monday night at 6pm West Elm's customer service told me the vendor didn't have the fabric and they didn't know when they would get it. I called Tuesday morning to cancel the order. They just called me back and told me the vendor now had the fabric and was making the sofa so I couldn't cancel.

How on earth did the vendor magically uncover fabric and start making my sofa overnight on Monday night? I'm awaiting a call from a supervisor.

Just read this review and was wondering what fabric you chose. I was about to order the Henry Sofa and am now very hesitant!

Thank you for your help.

View more comments (14)
Loss

West Elm in Virginia Beach, Virginia - What didn't they do wrong?!

I urge you NOT to order from West Elm. Save yourself the trouble and the headache. The only reason I gave this one star is because I couldn't put zero stars. I have NEVER dealt with a less professional business than West Elm. I purchased a king size bed frame and head frame. UPS delivered the headboard about a week and a half later. The bed frame was routed to the wrong address and it was only discovered when they called to try to deliver to the wrong state (yes, as in US State). I spent the next 33 days trying to get it re-routed, all the while watching stock dwindle. I called countless times and spent countless hours on the phone about every other day. On the 33rd day I finally got someone willing to do their job and it was finally re-routed. A week later my bed was delivered. As the delivery crew assembled what should be my king size bed I noticed a number of problems, the biggest being it was not a king size bed, but a full. On top of that they did not have any slats and the cross brace looked to be from a twin and did not cover the width of even the full bed. I called customer service and was told they no longer have that bed in stock and basically I was out of luck. The bed frame went back with the delivery drivers. On top that, the bed that they did put together looked like it would buckle under 10 pounds, the quality simply was NOT there. I then explained to them that I needed to get a headboard back to them since I did not and would not be getting a bed to attach it to. Had I actually got someone to do their job a month and a half ago this probably would not be a problem. Since I was expecting a bed to attach this headboard to I had discarded the box. In hindsight, my mistake was assuming I was dealing with competent people. I was told they cannot send someone to get this and I would have to find a box to put it in and ship it back to them. Where exactly am I going to find a box to fit a king size headboard?! Not likely... So basically, for over a month and a half of my time trying to get someone to do their job, more frustration than I thought possible, and most likely money out of my pocket for a huge box to ship this back, I got NOTHING! And it's not even over. I am still waiting on my refund for the frame, and unless I can figure out how to get a box for the headboard I am out of luck... great way to do business. I urge you NOT to order from West Elm. Save yourself the trouble and the headache.
Loss
I purchased a West Elm outdoor wood-slat dining table and six chairs from a friend, all in perfect condition. I ordered a West Elm outdoor table cover to protect them from rain. The cover leaked in a rainstorm and ruined my table. West Elm refused to compensate me...
Review
I ordered the Elton settee couch in Jan quoted as shipping in 8-10 weeks and it still hasn't shipped from the distributor in mid-April with no idea when it will ship from the distributor. West Elm told me in mid-March it would be shipping, and then again in April. It...
#461997

My settee was ordered Nov 27. Just got it Monday April 2.

Legs also installed wrong. What a piece of *** this company is.

View more comments

Update by user Mar 31, 2011

Note:

1) Despite the fact that I have repeatedly drawn this pivotal discrepancy in dimensioning to West Elm\'s and William Sonoma\'s attention, the online page advertising the sale of this \"narrow-leg twin bedframe\" product STILL, TODAY, lists mattresses for sale...

I ordered a simple bed-frame ($199) and had to pay for shipping even though there's store a few miles from my home. I was ok with that. I was told that there was a 30$ surcharge for heavy and bulky items. I balked but paid for, it after all it is a bedframe. Three days later, it arrived. I step out the door, and I see two SHORT little packages. I'm like, "How can a bed be in there?" I (female, 5ft tall) pick both packages up, hmm not heavy at all.

I realized that the siderails come in two short pieces. Of course I'm a little disappointed. That's not a very sturdy design. The floor models did not show this at all!

So I call customer service and ask why it was not made known that the side-rails came in TWO SHORT PIECES. She said it's impossible for every piece to be listed. I thought that was a little facetious, but I Iet it go. (I didn't ask for a list of pieces; I was just talking about disclosure that the siderails came in TWO SHORT PIECES, because this has a bearing on the sturdiness of the product and the fact that they are "sur"charging for bulkiness and weight).

OK, I assumed... my fault. But, why, then, was I charged 30 bucks for a normally sized and weighted product? She said that this was a contract with ups and there was nothing they could do about it. I said, "Yes there is...Tell ups that the siderails come in 2 SHORT PIECES!" Maybe UPS ALSO ASSUMED that the siderails came in loooooong whole pieces worthy of a surcharge. If I was charged a surcharge, wouldn't that be a natural assumption - siderails in looooong whole pieces? (By then, I was "irritated" because I was told, that:

1. I couldn't drop it off at my local store as a return

2. I had to pay for the return charge

3. I would not get my delivery charge refunded

4. I would not get my surcharge refunded)

I might as well have gone to IKEA. They probably have more sturdily designed products. West Elm is like an IKEA pretending to be a Crate & Barrel). My apologies to IKEA, because IKEA is not pretending to be something other than what they are.

View more comments
Review
Retailers, like West Elm Store, are more evil that those banks charging exorbitant fees. Congress has noticed the banks. It's time to take a look at retailer practices. I bought five pillows at a West Elm Store. Stupidly, I let the clerk talk me into getting a special...

you are just dumb