1.4
Style and Design

I ordered a flannel bedding set from West Elm- Queen sheet set, pillow cases, herringbone coverlet, Queen duvet cover. Right out of the package they started to pill and the problem only got worse until now the texture is just awful and leaves messy lint everywhere. Terrible quality.

I emailed customer service to tell them about the issue a month or two later. (My work schedule was very busy) These were on sale but not on "clearance" and were still very overpriced for the quality. I got multiple responses from different people who all seemed to have a complete disregard for the bad quality of their product and offered nothing for my trouble. I spent over $350 for this bedding and I will end up throwing it out after two months of use to buy something else that is better quality. It seems like their customer service people are just not trained in how to handle issues without blaming the customer. I have had flannel sheet sets in the past that did not deteriorate this quickly at all and lasted for years. One of the customer service people actually told me to "Use a sweater shaver" !!! REALLY??? On a Queen bedding set? That would take forever!! Completely laughable response.

I will try to past the whole exchange here so you can see how ridiculous this is.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting west elm regarding order.

Thank you for sending the pictures. We have found that pilling is not a defect, but a natural occurrence.?Pilling is loose strands or balls of fiber that form on the face of a piece of fabric. It is caused by friction on the surface of the fabric, and can be considered unsightly on furniture.?

The quickest and most cost effective approach is to use a battery operated pill shaver to remedy the situation. These small appliances are available in most sewing stores, or the sewing area of large department stores. A pumice stone pill remover or pill comb is also effective, and both perform the same task manually. If pilling reoccurs, it can simply be shaved off again. This may occur several times, but the pilling will diminish and eventually cease once the excess fibers are removed.

We hope this information has been helpful. Please feel free to contact us with any other questions.

Warm regards,

Reba Y.

Customer Service

west elm

Hello,

Thank you for responding to our questions. I regret that we are unable to open the photo attachment provided. I invite you to try to send photos in a pdf file if possible, and attach in your response at your earliest convenience.

I am truly sorry to learn the bedding has failed to meet your expectations and we were not notified within days of noticing they were not meeting your expectations. It is important to note that pilling is not a fabric defect and is not covered under manufacturer warranty. Our clearance sale items have a non-returnable policy and every effort to help resolve this matter will be reviewed for you.

Thank you for reaching out, and I hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to respond with any other questions. Your satisfaction is important to us and we look forward to communicating with you again soon.

Kind regards,

Mirian A.

Customer Service

west elm

To: customerservice@westelm.com

Subject: Re: Your west elm Inquiry

This message is in reply to Vicki V. 's original response to my complaint about the flannel bedding.

I will answer the questions below and include a link to photos of the pilling issue

When did this issue first appear? Almost immediately after I opened the package I noticed that the flannel pieces were already starting to pill.

Did it occur abruptly, or gradually worsen over time? Within two days and two uses of the bedding the pilling got much worse.

How is the Bedding generally cleaned and maintained? The bedding is washed in a regular washing machine with organic detergent and dried in a regular dryer- but this happened already before the first wash.

Would you be able to forward me a few photos of the issue? Please see attached photos (Google Drive link) ? Pics For West Elm

? Please advise on what you think can be done about this. Thanks very much - I really appreciate it.

Photos can greatly assist with expediting our review of the issue. If possible, one photo of the entire item and a few close-ups of the affected area work best. Photos may be emailed to the following email address: customerservice@westelm.com wrote: Hello , Thank you for contacting west elm regarding order number #. I am so sorry to learn that the Flannel Bedding has not performed to your satisfaction. I would be happy to research the pilling issue for you further. Our return policy normally allows 30 days to initiate a return, as damages and defects are typically identified within that time frame. However, since you have brought to our attention your concern that this may be a quality issue, we can certainly review our options again. I would simply need to ask a few additional questions to ensure I fully understand the situation. If you would be able to reply with the following information at your convenience, we can then take the next steps for further review: When did this issue first appear? Did it occur abruptly, or gradually worsen over time? How is the Bedding generally cleaned and maintained? Would you be able to forward me a few photos of the issue? Photos can greatly assist with expediting our review of the issue. If possible, one photo of the entire item and a few close-ups of the affected area work best. Photos may be emailed to the following email address: customerservice@westelm.com Please include your order number in the subject line. Once we receive your reply, we will review the information and investigate all of our options. You will then receive a new email from me within 5 to 7 business days regarding the resolution. Thank you again, and please feel free to contact us with any other questions. Warm regards, Vicki C. Customer Service west elm Message Text I just think you should know that the quality of the flannel sheet set, pillowcases, quilt, and duvet cover that I ordered is definitely not what I would expect from West Elm. All of the pieces that I ordered almost immediately started pilling even after one wash and one use. The duvet cover is completely pilled as well and does not look or feel nice anymore. I also noticed that you do not have customer reviews on the site anymore. This would have helped me make a better decision, as it is too late to return these items. It would have been nice to know beforehand that the sheets and other bedding items were not going to stay soft for very long. I am not sure if there is anything that can be done at this point- but it doesn't make me that confident in future products from the site. Is this an issue that West Elm is aware of? Thanks,

Review about: West Elm Bedding Set.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Comments

West Elm said they would send me a return label but never followed through, I got tired of dealing with their bad customer service.

WestElmSocialTeam
West Elm Verified Representative

Hello - I'm very sorry to learn of the pilling you are experiencing and would like to take a look at the sheets. Please send any pictures and order information you may have it to support@westelm.com and I'll be happy to assist you. - Katie