West Elm - Defective paint finish on white mid-century end tables with drawers

We purchased two mid-century end tables with drawers to use as night stands approximately 8 months ago. When we received them we noticed a strong paint fume smell to them. We kept the drawers open for them to air out, and put them to use with a table lamp & other typical bedside items on it. After owning for about 2 months, I placed basket weave place mats on them, beneath the lamps. After a couple additional months, we had noticed that the placemats had left indentations in the paint finish. I contacted customer service and dealt with a pretty rude, unsympathetic William Sonoma customer service representative. I was given the line that it was outside the return policy, I stated that the finish was defective and this wasn't a matter of returns - but a request to replace because of the defective paint. I submitted a claim complete with photos. Three weeks later I received a call informing me that it was the placemats that damaged the end tables. Which is ridiculous - I stated that I have the same placements on Ikea furniture as well as wood finished furniture with no issues. I asked what other recourse there was for me, and was not given any options...so that is what brings me here.

I am convinced that the paint finish was not giving adequate time or didn't follow the typical curing process - which resulting in a placement could damage it.

I also found it ridiculous that they don't allow customer reviews on products so that this information can be shared with other customers. We have spent tens of thousands with West Elm, William Sonoma, Pottery Barn, and Rejuvenation. We've had the worst experiences by far with West Elm in both product quality & customer service.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

• Quality

Reason of review:
Damaged or defective
Preferred solution:
Let the company propose a solution
Monetary loss:
Product or service
West Elm Mid-Century Side Table
Review category
Furniture and Decor
review #739573

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with West Elm? Submit review ›
Helpful? 1 Yes 1 0 No 0
Had the same issue 1 Yes 1
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Post a comment to start a discussion.

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.