2.4
Style and Design

I ordered a $1500 Emmerson Bed from West Elm three months ago (November 27, 2017). It has been nothing short of a nightmare experience. I want potential buyers to realize what level of madness they should come to experience from this company.

Let me summarize as succinctly as possible:

1. Purchased bed, it was delivered and setup in person by a delivery team. You pay a great deal of money for this obligatory service. Upon delivery I realized immediately that there was a crucial design flaw; the slats bang hard into the only central support beam (which cannot be adjusted any higher). The slats ride about 3/4 inches or more higher than the beam. Unacceptable slamming sound with the slightest movement on the bed. I cannot begin to describe how noisy this bed design is.

2. Months followed of West Elm not corresponding or rerouting me on the phone countless times in hopes that anyone, ANYONE in the company could help me. Consider yourself lucky to get one email in response from them after days of reaching out. Scheduling a reassembly team took weeks. Customer reps would tell me that messages were passed along. They were not, as other reps would state that they had not heard or seen anything annotated. West Elm apologized profusely and assured me things would happen. They did not repeatedly.

3. The reassembly team finally arrived today (One day shy of three months since ordering; February 26, 2018!). They recommended buying screws to anchor slats to sides of the bed, though they admitted that the slats would still not remedy the central bar noise(?). They then recommended buying a whole new slat system with feet and custom fitting it into the bed after doing away with the central bar. I am absolutely dumbfounded.

West Elm, shame on you. What an absolute disgrace on every level of your company. Your phone and email representatives cannot effectively communicate with each other, let alone with the customer. You charge a ridiculous amount of money for a bed which has a crucial design flaw, and then finally send a team after months of correspondence and many hours on the phone who have the nerve to tell me that I need to go figure out my own fix to this $1500 design failure. Your refund offer of $275 last month is a paltry sum of the misery I have had to go through.

Folks, avoid this company like the plague. Don't believe the hype. Yes, their furniture looks beautiful and the store feels wonderful in appearance and inspiration. Execution of ideas matters, and customer service matters, quality matters, and we as customers have been blindly duped in this regard.

I will now be looking to proceed into legal channels.

Product or Service Mentioned: West Elm Emmerson Bed.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Comments