Kelly P Ntp

| map-marker Denver, Colorado

Exchange policy

West Elm just lost a customer. Ive spent thousands of dollars with this store. Recently I wanted to exchange Sheets in original packaging (and never opened). I needed this Queen realizing the king was going to be too big. Was over the 30 days so they just said no. I guess Im used to shopping Nordstrom with their excellent return/exchange policies for loyal customers. I was planning on buying another set of sheets as well and some candles during this exchange, but now Im not going to shop West Elm again. Short sighted - loyal customers care how you treat them.
Loss:
Pros:
  • Products
Cons:
  • Customer service

Preferred solution: Exchange for different size

User's recommendation: Don’t be a loyal customer- they won’t treat you like one

Laurie H Vef

HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE

West Elm - HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE
West Elm - HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE - Image 2
West Elm - HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE - Image 3
West Elm - HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE - Image 4
We purchased drapes back in 2021. Recently went to clean them and looked at the tag for directions. Followed the directions, and they shrunk 6 inches. West elm is refusing to stand behind their product. Not only will they not replace them, they are suggesting a laughable 10% off. These were $250 drapes. I don't understand how you expect to retain any customers when you treat them this way. It's their mistake for having those directions on it, and they should fix it. Its not my responsibility to pay them more money. Customer service was robotic and infuriating.
Loss:
Pros:
  • Products
  • Service help with purchases
Cons:
  • Horrible customer service
  • Robotic response

Preferred solution: A replacement

User's recommendation: Just don't bother buying from them. I loved the company, but they are horrible and I won't buy again.

Gwendola Eyf

Terrible attitude

I bought something for my friend as a gift and left the gift note when placing the order. However, the gift note wasn't included in the package, so I reached out to customer service and asked "Is there any compensation that you could offer?" since other merchants have offered discounts for the same situation before, I thought there was no harm in asking.

It would have been totally fine if they told me something like sorry but there's nothing they could do.

Instead, they told me "I do not see we charged you for the note." That attitude really pissed me off.

p.s. the shipping and processing fee was $30

Guest

“That attitude really pissed me off.” I’m sure it did. Not only was it a brilliant response to end any further discussion, I bet you felt her ear-to-ear grin over the phone.

Guest

The price of the shipping and processing fee has no place in the discussion. You already agreed to it. I guess you learned nobody is going to put up with your foolishness.

Lamontae Pmf

Well, they did not charge you for the note, so why complain? Also the fact that you are asking for a price reduction shows that the real issue is not getting the refund.

You are NOT ENTITLED to one if you cannot afford their prices do without. They are sick and tired of people like you taking advantage of them.

View more comments (2)
Yelena P Aor

Verified Reviewer

Absolutely trashy company! Horrible quality, horrible customer service

Original review Mar 09, 2024

Ordered three drapery rods: two have incomplete parts, one has damaged thread for finial. Two month later - only two replacements came; one was lost in transit

Ordered bed frame and four nightstands:

Bed frame came damaged, but miraculously was replaced.

Three nightstands have damages (beyond repair), one nightstand has missing screws for the legs - everything recorded upon delivery. Three weeks later West Elm suggested to send damaged items to warehouse for repair, they don't want to replace them. Super expensive items and repair?

Like dents, scratches? When talking to the rep, they just hung up on you in 5 min (of course, I am staying polite)

Pros:
  • Good design
Cons:
  • Horrible customer service and bad quality of product

Preferred solution: replacement with non-damaged items, an Apology and price reduction for time wasted

User's recommendation: No one in their own mind should buy from them. Especially if you don't have hours and hours to spend on the phone

Britny Bly

Outrageous

Paid for white glove delivery of a sofa. The delivery team didnt have the right brackets to assemble the sofa but insisted on leaving the pieces and promised to mail brackets and come back in 2-5 days. Over a month later, never got the brackets and customer service refuses to help. Ive called customer service nearly 10 times and have been told to just keep waiting with no ETA. Infuriating!!!
Loss:
Cons:
  • Unhelpful

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Never ever buy

courtney h Jqg

Appauling customer service

West Elm - Appauling customer service
West Elm - Appauling customer service - Image 2

Horrible customer service! Possibly the worst I have ever encountered.

I ordered 2 chairs and spent over $400 and instead of receiving the two chairs, I received a cheap, crescent moon, plastic wall lamp that they don't even sell on their website. When I contacted customer service, I was given the runaround. For over a month I tried to get them to stop holding my chairs hostage. They insisted that I would need to haul the large box with a cheap lamp and ship it back to them from a UPS store before I could receive my chairs (the ones I paid for).

I run a small business, do not live near a UPS store, and do not have a car, so schlepping this random lamp is not how I would like to be spending my time for a mistake that I did not make. West Elm would rather be out the $5 that lamp probably cost them vs. keeping me as a happy and loyal customer and that seems like bad business and makes me better understand why it's better to shop with companies like Amazon. West Elm is a huge company and they clearly.

have lost touch with caring about their customers and they need to update their customer service on better protocols. According to my own research and the FTC...

companies are prohibited from mailing unordered merchandise to customers and as a customer I have the legal right to keep it as a free gift, according to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). In this case, I would just break down the box it came in and put it on the street for someone who might appreciate it.

Loss:
Cons:
  • Value
  • Customer service
  • Rude customer service

Preferred solution: Deliver product or service ordered

User's recommendation: I would just stay away - unless you can buy something off the floor.

Kathleen M Ubq

| map-marker Durham, North Carolina

FRUSTRATION!!!

I placed an order August 12, 2023 for 4 dining room chairs. I was told they would take 8-12 weeks. It has been 7 months!! I have finally received 3 of them and the 4th isn't coming until June. They may not even be the same run so who nows if they will all match. I have spoken to at least 4 customer service represenatives and they pretty much don't know anything either. I just keep getting the run around. I will NEVER order anything from this joke of a company again!!!
Pros:
  • I liked their bedding
Cons:
  • Customer service and delivery

Preferred solution: Price reduction

User's recommendation: DO NOT BUY CUSTOM FURNISHINGS FROM THIS COMPANY!! THEY ARE SO SCREWED UP!!

map-marker Carolina, Puerto Rico

Verificar una mercancia para Puerto Rico

Compre una mercancia el 9 de febrero por online ya q west elm no esta en Puerto Rico, y Ups me la estuvo posponiendo en varias ocasiones hasta q hoy recibi de nuevo otro mensaje notificandome q ahora es en marzo 6, por eso la cancele y en costomer service me ayudaron a volver a comprarla, espero no tener problemas nuevamente

User's recommendation: Claro q Si me ayudaron y para mi eso es importante

Jenny O Beq

Awful Costumer Service

I called them with a simple question on ordering an outdoor sofa cushion cover and they couldn't answer the question and the supervisor was unwilling to come to the phone. For a high end furniture store, I would expect more. I was going to place a $4K order and now will not be placing it due to the terrible customer service.
Cons:
  • Terrible customer service

User's recommendation: Do not order from them.

Garner Vyn

Terrible customer service

I returned a set of curtains via UPS and was charged a shipping fee. There was no mention of this shipping fee on the return website or return email that I received. Contacted customer service and they would not waive it. I have returned products with other retailers (Gap etc) via UPS and was never charged a return shipping fee. I will be taking my business elsewhere.
Loss:
Cons:
  • Expensive
  • Rude customer service

Preferred solution: Full refund

Kimberly B Xeg

West Elm and Potter Barrn Delivery Service is the WORST!

I have been a loyal customer of both brands for years, and my experiences this year have been so disastrous, I do not think I will be coming back unless a remedy for my current situation is identified immediately.

I will start with the current situation and then provide context for my earlier issues this year.Delivery window 10/28-11/11Scheduled delivery for 11/15 (not so bad given my first order in 2023 arrived 2 months late)Delivery window was 4 PM to 7 PMI received a call, after sitting and waiting, at 9:30 PM (!) informing me my chair was not being deliveredI was told I would receive a call in the morning to quickly rescheduleI did NOT receive a call. In the afternoon I called the company and left a message.Shortly after I received a text with the first available delivery date in 16 DAYS!!!My chair/ottoman was 2 stops from my house yesterday and now I need to wait 16 days for it to make its way back?

I ask management and all employees at West Elm does this seem reasonable to you?

If you were the customer, would you feel satisfied by this? The response I got from a customer service chat just a few moments ago was there is nothing you can do, because delivery is outsourced. I have an idea! How about you call the outsourced company I can provide the phone number and demand that they deliver my furniture this weekend!

That seems like a reasonable resolution and one where West Elm takes accountability for their customer satisfaction. I have tried to contact them myself, but they dont seem to answer the phone, or return calls.

Further, the company you have chosen to outsource your services to should be revisited. This is now my second bad experience this year, and in talking to staff at both your local (Rochester area) Pottery Barn and West Elm stores, it sounds like delivery issues have been widespread and consistent for many customers in 2023. Maybe finding a new delivery team to outsource to is the right solution.

If they are not taking your customer satisfaction goals seriously, maybe they dont deserve your (or mine) business.

Maybe this would be less upsetting if I hadnt already dealt with a similar issue, all tied back to the delivery company, that resulted in my PB sectional being delivered OVER 2 months past my original delivery window this past fall.

There are lots of great furniture companies. I have been loyal to PB and WE for many years, but if I cant rely on getting my furniture when you say I will, I will be going elsewhere.

And I have no problem sharing my experiences with others so they dont end up in the same boat as me, dealing with the same frustrations.

I hope the current issues with my chair and ottoman can be addressed in a timely and reasonable fashion. I have always expected nothing but the best from your companies, but this is two big strikes in 2023!

Pros:
  • Great furniture
Cons:
  • Atrocious delivery systems in place
  • Atrocious customer service

Preferred solution: Apology

User's recommendation: Unless your are okay with being frustrated and waiting for a long time for your items, shop elsewhere!

map-marker East Walpole, Massachusetts

Disappointing Rug Puchase

I purchased some cotton bath mats online for my newly renovated bathroom. The colors were perfect and they are all cotton, so I could wash them.

After owning for 35 days, I followed washing instructions. They shredded all over my washing machine and I think some of the dye ran. I had to dry them but they are still covered with lint.

Customer service said i cannot return them because they have been washed (which is what showed the problem). And they could offer me a partial credit, which after a little negotiating was only $20 on an $80 purchase.

I asked if the $20 would go to my credit card and was told Id get an ecredit which is good for another West Elm purchase. To me, thats no credit at all.

User's recommendation: Do not buy fabric items from West Elm.

Karigan Loi

Still waiting...

Been dealing with an issue for an order I placed in early September. 3/4 pieces of my couch were delivered but no ETA on when the lost 4th piece will arrive.

Many calls to customer service frequently resulted in being told I would be called abck, but never received a single phone call from anyone. Regular CS agents were almost completely useless and unable to escalate the issue after time kept passing and progress failed to be made.

Supervisor I spoke to seemed like she would be helpful (Christie) but also failed on her promise to call me back within a few days. Weeks later and still in the same place I was weeks ago.

map-marker Allentown, Pennsylvania

All of my refund taken after merchandise was returned

The faux branch I purchased did not have the real life appearance as advertised possibly because I have many real plants in my living space. I was told my money would be refunded as a one time courtesy.
map-marker Allentown, Pennsylvania

To find out the reason why my money wasn’t refunded after I returned the branch in the same condition I received it.

I returned the tree branch because it didnt have thae real life appearance as advertised possibly because I have several real plants. Even though the item was returned most of my money was kept.

| map-marker Kahului, Hawaii

West Elm's Sofa Saga: A Customer's Nightmare

West Elm's Sofa Saga: A Customer's Nightmare

West Elm's abysmal customer service deserves a standing ovation for its sheer audacity. I embarked on a harrowing journey when I ordered a sofa in November 2022, with the promise of delivery by March 2023.

Little did I know that this ordeal would stretch into a nightmare.

First, a damaged sofa arrived, and after much ado, they agreed to exchange it. Months rolled by without a peep from them, until they casually informed me that the sofa I ordered is mysteriously unavailable despite it still being offered online.

Hours of my life vanished into the abyss of their customer service, only for them to slam the door shut on my face on August 17th, canceling my replacement order altogether. Bravo, West Elm! You managed to squander any goodwill I once had as a loyal customer who spent over $10,000 in the past three years.

West Elm's incompetence and disregard for customer loyalty are astonishing.

They have earned a special place in the annals of terrible customer service. Beware, fellow shoppers, for West Elm's furniture may never grace your home, but their incompetence will haunt your dreams.

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article