2.8
Style and Design

I bought a West Elm Crosby sofa a little over three years ago. It looked really good in the store -- I certainly can't deny that.

And for about 6 months it also looked really good in my house. Then the problems started.

First, my original sofa cushion became deflated, misshapen, and extremely uncomfortable within the first few months of having the sofa. Mind you, I'm a single woman of small stature, so it wasn't the result of unusual wear and tear. It was definitely a quality issue.

I complained (repeatedly -- by phone, email, social media, etc).

In fact, I probably spent 20 hours of my life trying to formally complain. And eventually West Elm responded. They offered to, and did, replace the main cushion. Great.

But when I switched out the cushions, I noticed the ticking time bomb that has now exploded on me -- West Elm made the cushion covers with FASHION zippers, not upholstery zippers.

That is, a cheap little plastic zipper with tiny teeth. Something that anyone who cared about quality wouldn't put on a jacket, not to mention a sofa.

So guess what? Now the zipper is broken. Sure, I could snip off the slider and replace it, but since the zipper itself is so cheap and flimsy this is bound to keep happening.

All so West Elm could save, what, $0.40 in production costs? On a sofa that they sell for $1400? Really?!?! Making margins is that much more important to them than cultivating loyal customers?

Not to mention that the grey fabric upholstery has seriously faded on the side of the sofa that faces the window.

Is it super-close to the window? Nope. Does my living room get good light? Sadly, no.

Was the fabric such a vibrant color that it was bound to fade over time? Nope, nope, nope. Again, it's just a quality issue.

West Elm, I beseech you, have some pride in craftsmanship. Have some respect for your customers.

And have some customer service -- like, literally, a customer service department, which you don't seem to have.

Know that customers like me would have been more than happy to pay $1.00 more for a good zipper; $20 more for a quality cushion; or $50 more for colorstay fabric... if that meant that I could have a good, usable sofa for 10 years, instead of a garbage product for 5.

Product or Service Mentioned: West Elm Crosby Mid-century Fabric Sofa.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Preferred solution: Repair or replacement... or the company can propose a solution..

West Elm Pros: Design.

West Elm Cons: Everything else, Non-existant customer service, Quality.

• Williams-Sonoma