125 views
Verified Reviewer

3.1

I ordered 5 pieces of furniture and 1 bedding item online. AT the time I ordered, 1 furniture item and bedding were noted to be back ordered until late August/early September but all other items were scheduled to be delivered in July according to the order summary.

My credit card was charged for almost all of the full order and shipping cost.

I received 2 items and one had slight damage. I also received an email that the 2 other items in stock were being held and would not be shipped until ALL items were available, contrary to the purchase agreement.

I sent a letter about the damage and also to request deliver of the in stock items as promised. I received a reply asking for more information and offering a $40 credit for damage or I could return the item. What ensued were 6 emails, each time from a different customer service representative who clearly had not read prior communications.

I tried calling customer service and was on hold for more than 1/2 hour the first two times and then the call was cut off.

The third call to customer service resulted in a very nice rep arranging to have my 2 in stock items delivered without a delay and a promise to process the $40 credit.

My items were delivered by the nicest most professional delivery people who work for this company.

A few days ago I looked on my credit card statement to find that there was no $40 credit and I had been charged an additional $517.00, which was a bizarre amount and fit neither the shipping charge nor the cost of the remaining back-order items.

I called customer service again and the rep, who was very nice and truly tried to help, was unable to find the credit, couldn't explain the $517 charge, said that her records showed a charge to my credit card for over $600 dollars (my credit card company has no record of that amount), and could not 'see' my original order, previous customer service encounters, or any other information. In the middle of our conversation, I was cut off, and she never called back, nor was I able to reach her on a subsequent call.

Yesterday, I saw that the $517 charge had disappeared from my credit statement. But I certainly will continue to monitor the account.

The MESS that this company calls 'customer service' is more like a bad joke called 'customer serve us'.

It is impossible to get a straight answer, nor do systems seem to be integrated and cohesive.

I love the furniture but I have spent hours trying to rectify problems I should never have had. I will never buy from West Elm, Pottery Barn or their affiliates again nor should anyone else.

User's recommendation: DO NOT PURCHASE FROM THIS COMPANY ONLINE.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

West Elm Cons: Follow through, Online ordering, Clarity of post order charges, Inability to get promised credit for damaged item, Worst customer service in memory.

Comments