West Elm - Tillary tufted sofa - poor quality after 18 months!
We bought our Tillary tufted sofa (all the pieces/full set) Summer 2014 at West Elm's newly opened London store for almost £3000. It was initially delivered 2 months late, and the corner back rest even later. I was told by customer service that this was because the couches weren't passing Quality Control and were being sent back to the states to be remade. This made me quite worried initially, and I should have cancelled my order then and there! This sofa cost us almost 70% more in the UK than what it sells for in the US so it's luxury sofa prices over here!
18 months later, we've had some issues with the quality and unfortunately this expensive sofa hasn't lasted. (Keep in mind that even though we have two small children, our flat is a pied-à-terre that we only use periodically, so this sofa has been very lightly used.)
1. THE MAIN PROBLEM - On two of the pieces, the frame of the couch is sagging & protruding at the front edge, right in the area where you sit. Which leads me to believe the wooden frame is weak/cracked & poorly designed to withstand normal wear & tear. Has anyone else had this problem? (It's not like any of us are over weight or anything, so not sure why this has happened.)
2. We ordered the light grey micro-fabric. Like many reviews here, the fabric is loose and wrinkly and hasn't stretched back to its original shape.
3. We have the biggest two pieces up against a wall, and they slip all the time. My husband is planning to attach some rubber bits under the legs to keep it from slipping, so hopefully this will do the trick!
This all makes me very sad because I like the sofa very much - aesthetically it's perfect for our space & I like the flexibility of moving the pieces around. I'd also note that the fabric is easy to clean when say your toddler marks on it with a ballpoint pen - it comes right off! But overall, I'd say that if you want a couch which lasts you a long time and is good value vs quality... this is not the right couch for you! HAS ANYONE HAD ANY LUCK RETURNING PIECES OR GETTING THEM REPLACED? I'd like them to replace the pieces where the frame is sagging, as it's only been 18 months!
More Review Details
|Diversity of Products or Services|
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
What I liked
What I disliked
- Late delivery
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "The chairs look great and the price is right. Problems started about 6 months after we bought them. The armrests split, but we just screwed them together. A couple of..."
- "I purchased the West Elm Delkab brown leather sectional a few years ago and the "leather" is now peeling and chipping off the cushion. After doing research I've realized this..."
- "I spent over $4000 on the second most expensive tempurpedic mattress in the store. When we got the mattress, we noticed it has several old, dirty stains. They mattress did..."
- "I decided to professionally paint my 40 year old Devon Yawl(value £3000) this season. Found Richard Marston who quoted £720 for a job. He promised she would be ready in..."
- "Ok heres the thing , i had heard so many negative things about this product and its CEO who I believe is based in Florida,but like a fool out of..."
- "Its quite bad when a company like Costco removes a bad review so other customers will have to go through the same horrible experience. Offering a refund seems does not make..."
- "...We paid $3,000 for an extended warranty so we wouldn't have to deal with any repairs. WELL, neither Keystone or Holiday World of Dallas will come to the RV park..."
- "I recently bought 2 numbers for overseas. The service was terrible. About 50% of the time I was getting either one-way connection (the other party was hearing me, but I..."
- "THURSDAY/DEC.01,2016: I played Kixeye's Battle Pirate game on Facebook a few days ago. In a campaign called "High Tide" I played and won the first round. The winning prizes are..."