West Elm Emmerson Collection poor quality

I have been an admirer of West Elm, and thought they were were known for lifelong quality pieces. Not the case. We ordered the Emmerson reclaimed table, bench, coffee table, and two leather couches. The Emmerson pieces LOOK extremely hardy, and indestructible. They are made of reclaimed shipyard wood, BUT they are slivers of the actual reclaimed wood, almost like a veneer. We have had the table for a couple of weeks, and the coffee table 2 days. They already have chunks that fell out, and varnish that chipped off. Not happy. The table was $1,000, bench was $500 and the coffee table $400. For $2k I expect furniture that will last at least 10 years.

I have head nightmare stories about their customer service, but will try and see what can be done. shipping also took almost 6 weeks, when it was listed at 2-4 weeks.

I would definitely rethink this collection from West Elm, and do your research!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

• What I liked
    • Like the sales associate that assisted me
    • Look of item s

Emmerson Reclaimed Wood Dining Table
Review category
Furniture and Decor
review #807305

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with West Elm? Submit review ›
Helpful? 0 Yes 0 1 No 1
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Oct 10 #1224940 Birmingham, Alabama

Does anyone know the steps involved in a class action proceeding? This is not the only site with multiple customers with shoddy emmerson junk.

Oct 10 #1224934 Birmingham, Alabama

Agree completely. The surface is so rough that it has snagged placemats and one of my kids got a splinter. Not only that. The table height is taller than started and is too tall for standard height chairs. It is terribly uncomfortable and you feel like a kid at the grownups table. Chairs with a taller seat height are almost impossible to find. But why would I purchase expensive chairs for a rough splinter laden table. I decided to sand it but the instructions said not to because of the finish.
I called customer service who told me they had no idea what the finish was and because it was made overseas, they had no way of finding it out. Upon asking about the table height being 2" too tall, I was told that varied because it was handmade. You are right to doubt their customer service.

Apr 06 #1140216

we have this table and it also has had pieces come off, tons of wood splinters, and separating boards. did you have any luck w customers service ? we got the run around from a 3rd party furniture repair company they use.. sent pics of all the damage and never heard from them again.

1 0 Reply

Mar 16 #1128696

If a "salesperson" helped you, I assume you purchased these items in the store, where you had every opportunity to see, feel, carefully inspect, research, and contemplate your selection before purchasing it. Nothing should have come as a surprise after the fact. Not all furniture is designed to be "sturdy" -- let me guess, you have unruly children and they proceeded to damage the furniture shortly after it was delivered, and you are upset that the store would not take it back. Sounds like a case of buyers remorse to me!

2 10 Reply

Apr 06 #1140222 Orlando, Florida

you're an ***, the furniture you see in the store isn't what you get. even if it is at the store, in the stockroom, it would be boxed. with the insane amounts of packaging around pieces of furniture do you think they allow everyone to un-box them for inspection at the store?? besides, this post is about the deterioration of these pieces in a short period of use. this collection is terribly made, almost as poorly constructed as your comment.

6 0 Reply

Oct 10 #1224937 Birmingham, Alabama

Actually the sample in the store is smooth as glass which further proves our point. You better bet I have buyer's remorse- sorry I accepted shipment of this piece of *** and dealing with West Elm at all. How long have you worked for West Elm? The table that is sold is light years from the store model.

Mar 11 #1125968

Product research is typically only helpful when conducted BEFORE making a major purchase. Your method of researching only afterward is counterproductive at best. It seems the words "due diligence" are probably too difficult for many to comprehend without an app or something that can explain it to them slowly, and in terms they understand?

1 5 Reply

Apr 06 #1140229 Orlando, Florida

researching anything before or after your purchase is not the point, with a company as big as this you can't help getting a bad apple once or twice so people take any review with a grain of salt.. the fact is this collection is poorly made. the wood veneer it terrible, huge chunks come off for reason other than the glue separates from the frame. any comment defending this furniture is an employee of West Elm/Williams Sonoma.

2 0 Reply

Jun 22 #1176496 Laguna Beach, California

This is a clear quality issue which only is discoverable by use. When you pay 1300+ you should at the very least receive great customer service and a product that lasts. I couldn't disagree more with the reviewer that is blaming the OP for not doing their due diligence. It's like spending 10k on a diamond but getting cubic zirconia-not a problem with anyone's research capabilities.
All that said - thank you OP. I was about to buy this table but your review just saved me a ton of hassle.

4 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.