2.0
Style and Design

I received several promo emails from West Elm, including one that promised 30% off a couch I was interested in. I ordered the couch using the promo code. Days later I saw that the order never went through and the 30% discount was no longer available.

I called customer service. They promised me they could apply the 30% discount if I re-ordered the couch. I didn't have the code in my email anymore, but the woman helping me said it wasn't an issue. I ordered the couch.

I received the order confirmation -- no 30% discount was applied. I called Customer Service again. A different woman assured me the discount would be applied when the purchase was finalized, which wouldn't happen for a month or two -- not until my card was charged when the couch was ready for delivery. I told her I didn't have the promo code; she said it wouldn't be a problem.

Yesterday my card was charged for the couch. No 30% discount.

I called again. They told me they had no record of that promo code so I would be paying full price. After a lot of back and forth about the promises that I would receive the discount regardless, I was told there was no record of the previous Customer Service reps telling me that. I asked to speak with a supervisor. I was told that the supervisor didn't want to talk to me; since there was no record of them misleading me, so the best they could offer was a 15% merchandise card. I wasn't satisfied with that, considering the fact that I had taken great pains to confirm the 30% discount and been lied to not once but twice. I asked again to speak with the supervisor.

After another long delay a supervisor came on and told me all she could offer was the 15% discount in the form of a merchandise card and that was it. I told her why that was unsatisfactory. She said she could make it 20%, but that was it, take it or leave it. I said I wanted 30%. She said she was ending the call and that was my last chance to either accept a 20% merchandise card or receive nothing at all. I didn't like her bullying tone and told her I wanted to speak with her supervisor.

She told me she didn't have one; that she was "Leadership" and her decisions were final. I asked for her last name or some employee ID number; she told me, in an abusive tone, that info was none of my business, that she was going to write in the notes of my call that I turned down the 20% card and then hang up. I accepted the 20% merchandise card, against my will.

They lied and mislead me into a purchase I wouldn't have made otherwise, and instead of making it right they became belligerent and abusive. I will never buy anything from West Elm (or William Sonoma, which owns them, or Pottery Barn which they also own) again.

Reviewer is in unhappy mood. This person stated that there is a room for improvement of customer service. Please immediately contact the author of this review to discuss poor customer service of west elm deal and associated monetary loss in the amount of $420. West Elm needs to issue a partial refund according to poster's claims.

Other people also mentioned west elm deal in their reviews. You may find this information helpful for further shopping at West Elm.

Had an Experience with West Elm?

Comments