Sunnyvale, California
5.8K views

I purchased three pieces of furniture in two separate online orders and in both cases, was charged S&H AND Delivery fees. Collectively, I paid close to $400 in fees on top of my furniture cost. Conversely, I ordered a piece of furniture at the store a week later, and paid $0 in fees. They waived the delivery and there was no S&H fee. I later called the online store to request the removal of the fees (since I wasn't charged them in the store) and was told there was nothing they could do about it. When asked to speak to a manager, they said they would take my number and a manager would call me back. Its been close to a week since I had that conversation and no one has called me back yet. When I called the online store back to ask why a manager had yet to contact me, they said the managers are overwhelmed with calls (probably all complaints about their customer service!!) and it can take them 3-5 days to return a phone call . In my opinion, this is absolutely unacceptable customer service.

In addition to these exorbitant fees, West Elm's return policy is laughable. They have "online only" pieces of furniture that are non-returnable. How am I supposed to know if a sofa is comfortable if I can't sit on it? And to not be able to return it is, again, unacceptable.

Lastly, they do not honour sale prices for items purchased within 30 days of a sale. Another big faux pas in my eyes. I purchased a sofa and two weeks later it was 20% off. When I called to ask to have the discount applied to my purchase (which by the way I haven't even received yet because its a 8-10 week delivery), I was told that they decided back in November 2014 that they would no longer honour discounts on already purchased items, regardless of how recently they were purchased.

All West Elm's competitors (EQ3, CB2, Crate & Barrel, etc.) honour lowest prices within 30 days and none of them charge a shipping & handling fee in addition to a deliver fee. Their return policies are also a lot more forgiving.

Needless to say, I will never purchase another item from West Elm again. And I am telling anyone who is considering a purchasing furniture.....stay away!

Product or Service Mentioned: West Elm Sofa.

Reason of review: Pricing issue.

Preferred solution: I want them to reimburse me the S&H and delivery fees on my furniture purchases and honour the 20% discount on the sofa that I just purchased..

Comments

I returned a non-refundable item by telling them that their delivery service really had frustrated me and I will think about it every time I see the piece of furniture. Since their motto is to take things backs if you are not happy, I said I will not be happy with this piece, ever. They cancelled the delivery (the item had not been delivered yet) and refunded the money.